This opening might be of interest to NAASR members:
MUSLIM AMERICAN STUDIES. The University of Michigan’s Department of American Culture and its program in Arab and Muslim American Studies (AMAS) seek qualified applications for an open-rank tenure-track faculty appointment in Muslim American studies.
We seek a theoretically sophisticated, rigorous, and interdisciplinary scholar with a strong commitment to contribute to the governance and development of the AMAS program. Candidates with scholarly expertise and teaching interests in Muslim American studies using intersectional approaches, such as frameworks of race, gender, and sexuality, are particularly of interest. Preference will be given to candidates who specialize broadly in Muslim American studies and examine multiple communities or issues – African American, South Asian American, Arab American, Latino/a/x, etc. The search will consider candidates who focus on the U.S. as well as those who incorporate comparative and transnational frameworks in relation to the U.S.
This is a university-year appointment with an expected start date of September 1, 2017. A Ph.D. degree in any relevant field in the humanities or social sciences is required prior to appointment. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching and research.
Applicants should submit a digital dossier via email attachments to email@example.com and include the following components (please submit each component as a separate PDF file):
All applicants should provide:
- Cover letter addressed to Chair, AMAS Search Committee
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing sample (no more than 25 pages)
- Statement of current and future research
- Statement of teaching philosophy and experience
- Evidence of teaching excellence (i.e., student evaluations of teaching, syllabi of courses taught, teaching awards)
- Sample syllabus for a course on Introduction to Muslim American Studies
- A list of 3 or 4 potential courses offerings in Muslim American Studies
- Untenured applicants – please provide three letters of recommendation, which should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly from the signer’s (or credentialing service’s) institutional email address
- Tenured applicants – please provide names and contact information of suggested reviewers.
Deadline to apply for full consideration for the position is January 15, 2017.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. The University of Michigan is supportive of the needs of dual career couples and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.